Friday, May 31, 2013

Exploring Anguilla - Flat island ... yeah right!

 
May 31, 2013
Today was a day for exercise.  We loaded our two fold-up bikes into our dinghy and headed ashore.  Our goal was to ride to a place called The Valley.  Doesn’t that sound nice and quaint?  Just over the one small hill that surrounds the bay and we’d be entering the low valley of Anguilla.  From there, it was to be a flat, enjoyable ride.
Anguilla is known as a flat island.  Sure, try telling my legs and lungs that!  We started out around the large salt pond that sits just off the beach area of Sandy Ground (the bay where we are anchored).  Within about a 5-minute ride, there it was … that ‘small’ HILL!!!  I downshifted and tried my hardest to pedal but my legs ached.  I couldn’t catch my breath.  Before I knew it, I was stopped.  We got off the bikes and walked the remainder of the way up the hill.
The view from the top was amazing but I was too exhausted to think to take a picture.  Sorry … I’m not going back just to get one!
The one good thing about hills is … there’s almost always a downhill after the strenuous hike up.  It was a joy to my aching body.  We got back on the bikes and did the wonderful coasting downwards.  About halfway down, there was a grocery store we had wanted to stop at.  Damn … an interruption to our pleasant downhill ride!  Oh well.  We pulled in, locked the bikes and got to enjoy the air-conditioned interior as we looked about.  It was a pretty decent store.  Had a little of everything (small appliances, toys, gardening stuff, etc) along with your typical small grocery store.  We will stop on our way back to the anchorage to pick up a couple of necessities.
A little further down the hill (yes, another interruption in our free ride) was a tire repair shop.  Did you notice, not a thing on the uphill climb for us to rest and recover but downhill and this is our second stop!  We pulled in there and had them put air in our bicycle tires.  Wow … what a difference!
We were told that was the only hill on the island and the remainder would be a nice enjoyable ride.  Yes, in a car, that might seem like the only uphill climb.  But when you’re pedaling your ass as hard as you can, those gradual inclines can be a killer.
It was hot … about 90°.  When there was a breeze, it howled … about 25-30 knots …hampering our progress.  We stopped often for a refreshing cold beer.  We searched for a place for lunch.  The one restaurant we went into had a sign on their window that said, ‘Chicken Wings, Burgers, Sandwiches, and more’.  The only thing available was some nasty looking prepared foods in warming trays that looked like they’d been there for days.  YUCK!!!  I guess that was the ‘more’ from the sign?  But no chicken wings, burgers or sandwiches available!  Another restaurant had a blackboard out front and on it were written the daily specials.  It listed about 20 things.  Some sounded pretty decent.  We went inside and the place was barren.  The only thing available was some curried chicken dish.  Nope, we’ll pass on that … thank you.
I was truly beginning to believe we were going to starve to death, right there on the spot.  God, was I hungry!
 We decided to head back towards the anchorage.  If nothing else, we knew there was food either at one of the beach bars or even back onboard Soulmatie.  Wow … that would be a long wait!
Luckily, I get tired easily when I’m riding.  I’m not in shape yet.  This caused us to stop a couple of times on the return trip.  More beer and finally, I found a restaurant.  The parking lot was quite full and as we entered, we noticed a lot of people inside.  Success?  Yep, they had a decent menu, at reasonable prices.  Larry got a hamburger ($6.00), I got a cheeseburger ($7.00).  They came with a small salad and a nice portion of fresh, hot French fries.  YUMM!!!  I got a water … I was dying of thirst, and Larry got a Presidente beer.  Total bill was $18.00 US.  In Anguilla, they use the Eastern Caribbean dollar.  One US$ equals about 3 EC.  All places we found accepted the US $.
After a very filling, enjoyable meal, I was ready to handle the climb back up the hill.  Oops … a little bit further and wouldn’t you know it … an ice cream parlor.  This is the first one I’ve seen in forever!  The only ice cream I’ve been able to find are the novelty type bars, etc in the store coolers.  This was actually ice cream … sundaes and all!  I was still overly full from lunch but I just couldn’t refuse.  I got Amaretto Almond .. it was yummy!  Larry got a chocolate chip cookie since he can’t eat ice cream.
I had strength for the remainder of the trip.  We stopped at the small grocery store and picked up a dozen eggs, (2) onions and a bag of Fritos Scoops.  The total was $10.00 (the chips alone were almost $6.00).
We got back to the boat at 5pm.  We were both tired from the long day of exercise.  We’ve spent far too much time sitting on the boat in a vegetative state.  It was nice to get out and do something for a change.  We’re hoping this is just the beginning of our ACTIVE period … more fun and less sitting around.  We’re out here to explore so let’s do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment