Thursday, March 28, 2013

Where do you think??? Clarencetown still!

Late last night, we’d picked up another weather forecast on the SSB.  We knew it would be a little bit longer before it cleared enough for us to want to pull the hook and head out.  Actually, we were getting very anxious and each day delay seemed like torture.  We “wanted” to pull it days ago but common sense told us to stay put.  We’re in this adventure for the long haul and the more comfortable we can make it, the more we’ll enjoy it.  I think Larry is a little more restless than me.  I don’t mind the motion and we have a 10-12 hour sail ahead of us in open Atlantic waters.  I’d rather have a comfortable voyage than to push out into the heavy seas and toss and turn from dawn till dusk before we limp into the new anchorage.  That is, if we can even get into the anchorage.  Sometimes, if the seas are too rough, it is too dangerous to pick your way through the coral heads and into the protected anchorages.  So … you’re left being tossed at sea until it calms or blow by this destination and hope it settles before your next port of call.  I think I’ll stay put just a little longer, thank you very much!

The winds have calmed somewhat today.  They still gust over 30 knots occasionally but are maintaining in the low 20’s.  The problem for me is the seas are still high.  It was forecasted they should drop to 5-6 foot by today but the GPS is still showing them at 7.5 feet along our entire route to the next anchorage.  We usually see higher seas than forecasted because the forecast is based on the average of the highest 1/3 of the waves.    That means in 7-8 foot waves, you are likely to see some 9-10 foot waves also.  I’d prefer a little more settled waters for now.  Maybe as we gradually put Soulmatie through all the ups and downs of sailing and work out all the bugs, I’ll start to think of 7-8 foot waves as bath-water.  I wait for the day!  But until then, we’re still in paradise so why rush it???

We will watch the wave forecast and possibly leave late this evening for an overnight sail.  The moon is just past full and last night was amazingly bright and beautiful on the waters.  If we can get a clear night, with full moon, waves subsiding … I think we’ll go for it!  If not tonight, tomorrow should have mellowed enough to make the trip in somewhat comfort and safety.  Yippie!

I hope to get to town and see if we can get Internet so I can send this update.  I know it’s been awhile and I am trying really hard to keep everyone as updated as possible.  Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment